Wow. It’s done. What an incredible but oh so painful day Friday was. It’s taken two days to fully digest what I’ve achieved (oh and for the DOMS to engulf me πŸ˜‚) and I’m not ashamed to say I’m proud! I’ll never forget this day for a very long time, so here is how on 4th November, the Indoor IronMan went for me…

Up at the crack of dawn, 4am, to fuel with some trusty Weetabix and jump in my uber to the Olympic Stadium. There’s something so special about that place for me and there’s no other place I’d want to have done this Iron Man.

And then just like that, it’s 5:59 and I’m standing at the edge of the pool contemplating my life choices! The guard blows the whistle like we are beginning a race and boom off I go πŸ’₯ The lengths were lonnggggg. As I said previously, my front crawl moves about as fast as sloth on sleeping tablets, so breaststroke it was! Long slow strokes but covering decent distance- first 1km in 30mins. The next two kms actually flew by and then it was the last 100m. All I was thinking of was how excited I was to never swim again πŸ˜‚ swim complete in 1hr 55minutes!


Quick transition shower to running clothes and boom I was on the bike by 8:15am! The bike was actually the most enjoyable for me. I was able to tick my legs over at a steady speed with no pain in them too much. I was having a cheeky picnic for fuel at this point-jam sandwiches for instant energy plus bananas and satsumas. They went down and digested pretty well!

I was so grateful to be joined by my fellow NRC Pacer Chewy for the final stages of the ride. He cheered me on and kept my mind distracted, for that I’ll be forever grateful ChewyπŸ™πŸ½ BUT THE PAIN MY ASS RECEIVED DURING THE BIKE THOUGH 😭 I sadly have purple bruised hamstrings and groin area to show for it but it’s not for the likes of the Internet πŸ˜‚ I tried everything. Sitting on trackies, even my scarf at one point! The pain was real. But. Bike complete in 5hours exactly!

Then there was the run. The final third of this epic long day. By this time it was 1:15 pm and I was tired. My quads started severely cramping and in the first 5mins, so Chewy joined me to walk then run the first 5k. At this point I stopped and walked again. Hamstrings started to kick in and scream, glorious scenes πŸ˜‚ I walked for another 5minutes and tried to hold a steady run. From this point up until half way it was walk some, run some. It successfully got me to half way in 2hrs 19.

Toilet break and back on the tread for THE LONGEST 3hrs of pain ever. I’d realised in my head, if I could maintain a walking pace of 7km/h I would be able to finish this thing in 3hrs. So that was the plan, by this point my ankle, both feet extensors, left quad, right hip and abs were hurting. My girl ChiChi came to visit and then Chewy left me with approximately 2hours to go. Somehow I managed to keep moving-I don’t know how! The final 3km arrived and I was surrounded by friends (Tashi, Ella, KP, Grace and Georgia). Then as I was distracted by there chatter I’d almost not realised I had 0.5km to go. At this point I just thought ‘I must finish running this’. In true Barry’s style I finished the last 100m at 12.5km/h and was ELATED!


6hours 2 minutes for the run!!


I’d done it. 12hrs 53 minutes total time for my Indoor Iron Man. What did it teach me? The body is capable of incredible things. The mind is always stronger. Friends are truly like family you can choose. Lastly, I’ve got a screw loose and if I ever suggest an Iron Man again, shoot me.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s